Thursday, September 29, 2011

Refusing to kill gang-raped daughter, Pakistani family defies tradition, faces anger...

Kainat Soomro is a 17-year-old Pakistani girl who has become a local celebrity of sorts in her battle for justice in the Pakistani courts, a daring move for a woman of any age in this country, let alone a teenager.

She is fighting to get justice for a gang rape that she insists happened four years ago in Mehar, a small town in Pakistan.

We first met her in the office of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. A colorful traditional Pakistani shawl covered her head. Her father sat next to her as she recounted the 2007 incident.

"I was walking home from my school and I went to the store to buy a toy for my niece," she said, staring at the floor of the office. "While I was looking at things a guy pressed a handkerchief on my nose. I fainted and was kidnapped. Then four men gang raped me." Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Honour killing madness in India's Punjab... 
  2. Crimes against women up by 18 percent in Pakistan...
  3. Rape, mutilation: Pakistan's tribal justice for women...
  4. Man in Pakistan kills 6 daughters for "honour..."
  5. Girl in India refuses to marry, father and brother burn her alive...
  6. Teen girl electrocuted by relatives in Pakistan honour killing...

No comments:

Post a Comment