Thursday, May 05, 2011

Life is tough for the old in Singapore...

IT is tough to be an old person in Singapore. Leong (not his real name) found this out when he turned 63 and retired.

He has an MBA, a CPA and had worked most of his adult life as a finance manager in a huge organisation in Singapore, but after retirement, he could not find another job.

“I am actually someone that some people might call a millionaire because I stay in a landed property, drive a big car and have quite a bit of savings.

“But when I try to apply for a job at my age, nobody wants to employ me because they say I am too qualified,” said Leong, who speaks three languages - English, Malay and Mandarin - fluently and also has a certificate in education. More...

Don't miss:
  1. Singapore's growth not so rosy for common folk...
  2. An ‘Orchid Evolution’ sweeping through Singapore?
  3. The rich in Singapore get richer and the poor poorer...
  4. There's a life after retirement? Elderly Swiss flocking to universities...
  5. The French pension strikes: the Big Picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment