Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bahrain woman on hunger strike over arrests...


The daughter of a prominent Bahraini activist says she is on hunger strike to protest the arrest of her father, husband and other relatives in an ongoing crackdown that quelled weeks of pro-democracy protests.

Zainab Alkhawaja wrote a letter addressed to Barack Obama on her blog, Angry Arabiya, announcing the start of her hunger strike Monday evening and urging the U.S. president to call for the release of her family.

"I chose to write to you and not to my own government because the al-Khalifa regime has proven that they do not care about our rights or our lives," she said.

"I demand the immediate release of my family members. My father: Abdulhadi Alkhawaja. My husband: Wafi Almajed. My brother-in-law: Hussein Ahmed. My uncle: Salah Alkhawaja." More...

Don't miss:
  1. Bahrain human rights activist "arrested and beaten up"
  2. Saudi troops destroy Bahrain Mosque setting fire to Holy Quran...
  3. "Police in Bahrain arrested my brother for blogging..."
  4. Shock, awe and déjà vu in Libya. But what about Bahrain, Mr.President? 
  5. Indian govt gives in to "fast unto death" anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare... 

No comments:

Post a Comment