Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Abdul Sattar Edhi, Pakistan's living saint...



In the course of my duties as a reporter, I have met presidents, prime ministers and reigning monarchs.

Until meeting the Pakistani social worker Abdul Sattar Edhi, I had never met a saint. Within a few moments of shaking hands, I knew I was in the presence of moral and spiritual greatness.

Mr Edhi's life story is awesome, as I learnt when I spent two weeks working at one of his ambulance centres in Karachi.

The 82-year-old lives in the austerity that has been his hallmark all his life. He wears blue overalls and sports a Jinnah cap, so named because it was the head gear of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan. More...

Don't miss:
  1. Chef in India feeds homeless and destitute...
  2. Bus driver in New York feeds the hungry and the homeless...
  3. Meet Andy Mackie the Harmonica Man, an amazing human being...
  4. Mysterious donor in Colorado hires motel rooms for the homeless...
  5. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, an angel from Hell, says Christopher Hitchens... 
  6. Chicken à la carte; hunger, poverty and globalisation... 

No comments:

Post a Comment