Thursday, November 23, 2017

Black Friday is a retail industry trick played on gullible consumers...

Being interested in business and economics I’ve known about Black Wednesday of 1992 since my school days. As a fan of Eighties music, I can tell you that "Blue Monday" is a great track by New Order. And Maundy Tuesday, Black Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and Bloody Sunday are terms we're all familiar with.

But a few years ago, Black Friday was introduced into my expanding vocabulary of colour/day-of-the-week combos, and I’m holding out for a time when I can pretend it never did.

Of course I've always known that in the weeks leading up to Christmas the number of thrifty shoppers hitting Oxford Street, and other meccas of consumption, increases rapidly. Only within the last few years, though, have I realised the full extent of the annual spending orgy.

The epitome of that debauchery will be upon us again this Friday and I pity anyone caught up in the ordeal. They'll need steel nerves, flawless analytical skills and, for their own sake, more discipline than cash. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Why shopping on Black Friday is like being on drugs...
  2. If people who sell stuff were honest about Black Friday...
  3. Black Friday: Five ways retailers are tricking you into buying stuff you...
  4. Born to shop...
  5. Black Friday: A shameful orgy of materialism for a morally bankrupt nation...
  6. The dirty secret of Black Friday "discounts"
  7. How advertising turned anti-consumerism into a secret weapon...
  8. Enslaved by our stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment