Sunday, February 21, 2016

The girl who said 'no' to marriage...

"I came from school at around 18:00, and Mum called me," Balkissa Chaibou recalls.

"She pointed to a group of visitors and said of one of them, 'He is the one who will marry you.'

"I thought she was joking. And she told me, 'Go unbraid, and wash your hair.' That is when I realised she was serious."

The young girl from Niger had always been ambitious.

"When I was little, I was dreaming of becoming a doctor. Take care of people, wear the white coat. Help people," she says.

Marriage to her cousin, who had arrived with his father from neighbouring Nigeria, would make this impossible. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. South Sudan: The deadly consequences of child marriage...
  2. Bill aiming to ban child marriages shot down in Pakistan as ‘anti-Islamic’ and...
  3. Child marriages make up one third in Turkey...
  4. First cousin marriages in Pakistani communities leading to 'appalling'
  5. Nigerian child bride forced into marriage poisons meal, kills groom and 3 others...
  6. Indian child bride, now 19, faces $25,000 fine for rejecting marriage...
  7. Indian child bride, 13, writes letter begging to stop marriage but father...
  8. The sad hidden plight of child grooms...
  9. Iranian child bride faces execution for killing the man she was forced to marry...

No comments:

Post a Comment