Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Abused on Facebook, 8 women from Kerala push for a change...

Going against the majority opinion has as much consequences in the virtual world as in the real. Eight women from Kerala, who found this to their cost, have now joined hands - their campaign is called For a Better FB -- and no less than 75 international online organisations are supporting their demands.

It is not just the abuse and victimisation by other users that they had to face, say the women.

"I was the one who was abused but it was my ID that Facebook blocked thrice," said Preetha G, 41, a single mother from a remote village. "When I reported the abusive comments to Facebook in Malayalam, I got a response that said it does not violate our community standards," she said.

Jaseela CV, 28, faced a similar situation. When she supported a man who got arrested for not standing up during the national anthem at a cinema hall, a torrent of abuse started, she said.

 "I was abused, my profile was reported and I was shocked when Facebook sent me a message saying I was using a fake name, when actually I was using my real name," she said. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The Indian women who took on a multinational and won...
  2. Journalist set on fire in India after Facebook post making allegations against
  3. 41 writers return Indian award, cite climate of intolerance...
  4. Journalist beaten to death after criticising footballer on Facebook...
  5. Jailed for 30 years in Thailand for insulting the monarchy on Facebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment