Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The turbulent life story of Bhutan's happiness guru...

On the banks of a river in the remote Bumthang valley in the foothills of the Himalayas, Bhutan's first happiness centre is under construction. Among the workers breaking stones is Saamdu Chetri, dressed in monks' robes, wielding a pickaxe.

At first the workers were puzzled at his hands-on involvement, he says. "Then they realised it's not just for them, I'm helping myself by being physically fit."

Chetri chose this remote location because of its spiritual history and its beauty. "It's one of the most beautiful valleys in the country," he says. "This is a place of happiness for me where I find so much relation with nature - the place itself is so serene."

For a man charged with bringing happiness to a nation, Chetri has suffered much in his life and comes from the most humble beginnings.

"I was born in a cowshed," he says. "I was so attached to animals, plants - anything to do with nature.

"My parents never thought about schooling. We had seven brothers and four sisters, they were all working and I thought I would also be one of the working persons." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Bhutan’s dark secret to happiness...
  2. Bhutan recalculates Gross National Happiness...
  3. The Lhotsampas: Bhutan's forgotten people...
  4. Did you think Bhutan was a paradise? Not for its refugees...
  5. Switzerland is 'world's happiest' country in new poll...

No comments:

Post a Comment