Thursday, August 08, 2013

Seattle police harass and threaten the news editor of a local newspaper...

I was riding my bike past Fifth Avenue South and South Jackson Street at about 7:25 p.m. on July 30 when I saw several officers surrounding a young black man sitting on a planter box. The cops were speaking loudly at him. As a reporter, when I see a buzz of police activity, I almost always stop to see what's going on. As the officers barked louder at the man, I took out my phone and snapped a photo.

From 25 or so feet away, I couldn't discern what was happening, but the man stood up to leave. That's when one of the officers eyed me and yelled something like "He's got a camera!"

King County Sheriff's Office sergeant Patrick "K.C." Saulet rushed over and told me to leave or I'd be arrested. He claimed I was standing on transit station property, that the International District Station plaza belongs to King County Metro and I could not stand there. I backed up until I was unambiguously on the City of Seattle's sidewalk, near the curb. But Sergeant Saulet insisted that I would be arrested unless I left the entire block. He pointed east and told me to cross the street.

(...)

Before I left the block, I asked for Saulet's name—I didn't know who he was until that point—and he pointed to his embroidered shirt breast. As I took a photo of it, he lifted his left hand, apparently in an attempt to block the shot, while his right hand rested by his pistol.

What I didn't know at the time is that Sergeant Saulet has a long history of abusive policing. In 2006, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported that he had 12 sustained complaints against him and "one of the worst misconduct histories in the King County Sheriff's Office." Two years later, The Stranger reported that Saulet had been reprimanded five times for excessive use of force and four times for improper personal conduct. Nonetheless, Saulet has kept his job and his rank as sergeant. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Indianapolis "Officer of the Year" attacks man in under 16 seconds...
  2. "They throw kids on the ground, put guns to their heads"
  3. How we got warrior cops...
  4. Militarized police gone wild across America; terrorizing citizens, shooting pet dogs...
  5. “Why did you shoot me? I was reading a book”: The new warrior cop is out of control...
  6. Philadelphia cop attacks and arrests a man for videotaping him...
  7. US cops out of control...
  8. Truck driver nearly beaten to death by cops for traffic ticket...

No comments:

Post a Comment