Monday, February 11, 2013

Germany's Pope Benedict to step down...

Germany's first pope in over 500 years, Benedict XVI, announced on Monday he would step down as head of the Catholic Church at the end of February due to his advanced age.

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," Benedict said in a statement released by the Vatican.

"In order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me."

 Benedict XVI, born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger in the Bavarian town Marktl in 1927, spent his entire life in the Church. He was made pope in April 2005. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The Pope and the sign of Satan...
  2. Vatican not amused at German magazine's pee-stained Pope...
  3. Pedophiles and popes: doing the Vatican shuffle...
  4. "The Pope is surely the biggest sinner in the whole Catholic Church"

No comments:

Post a Comment