More than a billion people are thought to have watched India beat Pakistan by 29 runs in the World Cup cricket semi-final in the Indian city of Mohali.
Both countries largely ground to a halt during the match, which was attended by their respective prime ministers.
It was the first time the two sides had played on each other's soil since the 2008 Mumbai (Bombay) attacks.
The nuclear-armed neighbours' ties hit a low after the attacks, which were blamed on Pakistan-based militants.
India now play Sri Lanka in the final in Mumbai on Saturday and celebrations have erupted around the country.
The BBC's Soutik Biswas in Delhi says the skies are alight with fireworks and it's like a rerun of Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights. More...
- Indian model promises to go nude if India win cricket World Cup...
- India: they are building a temple for cricket star Mahendra Singh Dhoni !!!
- Hitler tried to play cricket ... and decided it was only for sissies!!!
- Oh boy! And I thought they drank tea during cricket matches!!!
- Holy Moses! Jesus played cricket as a child!!!