Monday, September 06, 2010

Young Pakistani Muslims turning away from Islam?

A handful of Pakistani Muslim youths are beginning to question the existence of God and in the process giving up Islam to become atheists.

Still a small number, the trend seems to be telling of pressures that the image of militant Islam has had on them. A Facebook group has been floated for Pakistan's agnostics and atheists by Hazrat NaKhuda, a former Pakistani Muslim.

At last count, the group had over a 100 members. In a thread started on the discussion board on "How did you become an atheist", Hazrat writes, "I used to be a practicing Muslim. I used to live in Saudi Arabia. I have done two Hajs and countless Umrahs. Used to pray five times a day. When I turned 17-18, I realized that the only reason I was a Muslim was because my parents were Muslims". More...

Don't miss:

  1. Atheist in Maldives who rejected Islam "hangs himself..."
  2. Pakistanis create rival Muslim Facebook...
  3. 6 million Muslims in Africa convert to Christianity every year?
  4. Muslim rocker from Pakistan on his 'jihad' against extremists...
  5. Young Muslims, punk music and “The Taqwacores..."

No comments:

Post a Comment