Friday, July 30, 2010

Death penalty book author Alan Shadrake: I'm not a coward, I'm not a wimp...

A British author facing a possible jail term over his book criticising Singapore’s use of the death penalty was defiant following his first court hearing Friday.

Alan Shadrake appeared in a packed courtroom to hear contempt of court charges levelled against him by the Attorney General following the local launch of his book “Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock”.

(...)

“I’m not a wimp, I’m not a coward,” Shadrake added. “I want to have my day in court... I’m not running away. If I run away, it means I’m guilty.”

Shadrake’s book features candid conversations with a retired hangman, Darshan Singh, who the author says executed some 1,000 local and foreign criminals in a career spanning nearly half a century. Full story...

Don't miss:

  1. Alan Shadrake freed from Singapore prison on bail...
  2. Amnesty  asks Singapore to release  Alan Shadrake...
  3. More than 900 people in Iraq face imminent execution...
  4. Egypt has dished out 230 death sentences in 6 months...
  5. Has the death penalty become too expensive?
  6. Malaysia: twins spared death sentence because of identity confusion...

No comments:

Post a Comment