Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Malalai Joya: The Afghan woman who will not be silenced...

I am not sure how many more days I will be alive," Malalai Joya says quietly. 

The warlords who make up the new "democratic" government in Afghanistan have been sending bullets and bombs to kill this tiny 30-year-old from the refugee camps for years – and they seem to be getting closer with every attempt. Her enemies call her a "dead woman walking". "But I don't fear death, I fear remaining silent in the face of injustice," she says plainly. "I am young and I want to live. But I say to those who would eliminate my voice: 'I am ready, wherever and whenever you might strike. You can cut down the flower, but nothing can stop the coming of the spring.'" More...

Don't miss:

  1. Malalai Joya, the bravest woman in Afghanistan...
  2. Where the waters meet, an Afghani song...
  3. Afghan 'anti-woman law changed...'
  4. Courageous Afghan women protesting law permitting rape within marriage...

No comments:

Post a Comment