Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sri Lankan editor's astonishing article about his murder and his murderers that he wrote just days before he was murdered...

No other profession calls on its practitioners to lay down their lives for their art save the armed forces - and, in Sri Lanka, journalism. In the course of the last few years, the independent media have increasingly come under attack. Electronic and print institutions have been burned, bombed, sealed and coerced. Countless journalists have been harassed, threatened and killed. It has been my honour to belong to all those categories, and now especially the last.

(...)

But there is a calling that is yet above high office, fame, lucre and security. It is the call of conscience.

(...)

In all these cases, I have reason to believe the attacks were inspired by the government. When finally I am killed, it will be the government that kills me.

(...)

In the wake of my death I know you will make all the usual sanctimonious noises and call upon the police to hold a swift and thorough inquiry.

But like all the inquiries you have ordered in the past, nothing will come of this one, too. For truth be told, we both know who will be behind my death, but dare not call his name. Not just my life but yours too depends on it. Full story...

See also:

  1. Sri Lanka: anti-government editor shot dead...
  2. Sri Lanka: what was Washington's role in the murderous civil war?
  3. Sri Lanka and the white van syndrome...

No comments:

Post a Comment