Sunday, February 12, 2012

BBC journalist beaten up in India: cops not too keen to find culprits...

You might expect that as the BBC correspondent in Bihar I would only be assaulted for exposing large-scale wrongdoing.

But, if the police are to be believed, the truth to my assault is much more trivial than that.

They say that I was assaulted because of my criticism of the inept running of the management association of the block of flats where I live.

That may be true, but what they have refrained from mentioning is that the target of my disdain just so happens to be a leading local member of India's BJP party who has in the past been the subject of my reports about the scourge of corruption in Bihar. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Murdered nun is fourth activist killed in India in 2011...
  2. Twelve RTI activists have been killed since last year in India...
  3. Corrupt Indian officials blamed for murder of activist Arup Kalita...
  4. In corrupt India, asking "uncomfortable" questions can get you murdered...
  5. Being a whistleblower in corrupt India can be dangerous...
  6. US journalist accuses Indian cops of beating him up...
  7. Arundhati Roy: the dead begin to speak...
  8. Mexico and Pakistan most dangerous countries for journalists...

No comments:

Post a Comment