The news is sure to strike fear into the hearts of buttoned-up Britons and starchy State-siders, 98 percent of whom have never stripped off on the sand, reported Die Welt on Friday.
Just two percent of Brits and Americans have ever been in the buff on the beach according to the poll, for travel website Expedia.
It suggested the common stereotype of stiff and reserved Germans was no more substantial than a sandcastle at high tide.
A bulging 15 percent of Bundesbürgers were happy to forgo their bathing suits, more than any other nation, with the Spaniards a distant second on 8 percent. Full story...
- Spain's nudists: we are clean, healthy and respectable...
- Roskilde Festival naked run 2011
- It's National Cleavage Day in London!!!
- "If you don't want to run into any naked people, stop right here!"
- Germans and Poles fight over nudist beach!!!
- German nudist groups on the decline...
- Switzerland tells naked German ramblers to buzz off!!!