Monday, August 22, 2011

Rape being used as a weapon of war in Myanmar (Burma)...

It is raining when I arrive in a small village in the Kachin state where 35 year old Ma Myit lives.

Ma Myit is not her real name; she asked to stay anonymous.

She says all her life she has lived in fear of Burmese soldiers.

“When I was about 15 years old, I was out in the woods finding food for pigs along with other girls from our village. There is a Burmese battalion posted near our village and when soliders saw us they tried to catch us. Luckly I escaped then. Some of my friends who couldn’t run fast enough were caught and raped by the soliders.”

But this year on the 20th of June Ma Myit wasn’t so lucky.

(...)

She says the Burmese soldiers used her as entertainment for five days.

“The soldiers took me along with their army battalion, passing by many villages. During that time they were raping me every night. I don’t want to recall my experience with them. I feel bad even when talking about it now. I don’t want to recall anything: I just want to forget it. I was forced to sleep with a soldier and a colonel. In the middle of the night, the colonel came to me. I screamed, but the soldier beside me said nothing and neither did other people. The colonel and I struggled. I think he is about 60 years old. In the morning, I told the soldiers that if they continued to assault me this way they would have to kill me first.”  Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Total and Chevron make billions for the Burmese junta...
  2. Indonesian fishermen bieng raped and beaten in New Zealand waters...
  3. The Sri Lankan soldiers "whose hearts turned to stone..."
  4. 7 rapes in 48 hours in India's Uttar Pradesh state...
  5. 51 Indian soldiers accused of rape while peace-keeping in the Congo...
  6. Congo has become the world capital of rape, torture and mutilation...
  7. Sexual abuse in the US army 'staggering'

No comments:

Post a Comment