Thursday, July 15, 2010

In Malawi, female candidates lack the funds ... to buy gifts for their voters!!!

Mable Malinda wants to contest the local government elections but the independent candidate who is using her life savings to fund her campaign only has 500 dollars left in her bank account. She has already spent three times as much buying handouts for voters — an unofficial requirement when contesting elections in Malawi.

'This is not going to be enough because the voters want more and more handouts. I am thinking of abandoning the campaign altogether. It is proving to be a very expensive mission. I have already spent 1,500 dollars since I launched my campaign two months ago,' the 53-year-old from the southern district of Mulanje told IPS. More...

Don't miss:

  1. In Malawi, if you don't vote, you don't get farm subsidies...
  2. Malawi fights cholera ... with catapults!!!
  3. In Malawi they eat mice...
  4. India: You want my vote? Get me a bride!!!
  5. Love guru in India promises easy love if elected...
  6. Politicians in India are promising gold and free weddings...
  7. Kill Socrates or Democracy, the tyranny of the masses...

No comments:

Post a Comment