"We are his family," Tay replied with a wan smile, gesturing to himself and his wife at the funeral of the elderly man who died penniless and alone in a welfare home.
Two helpers and a Buddhist monk formed the rest of the funeral party on a hot and humid afternoon in May.
Tay also handled the funeral of Nguyen Tuong Van, a Vietnamese Australian hanged in Singapore for drug trafficking in 2005.
"I do not bother about what his crime was. I only bother that his mother was here, and really had no money," Tay said. Full story...
- Germany: 2 undertakers kill a third undertaker!!!
- Funerals in China are a rip-off!!!
- Killed by her husband's coffiin!!! Oh boy!
- Priest turns up drunk for funeral, punches mourner...
- Funeral director charged with abusing corpse!!!
- Murdered Malaysian buried in red ... to "return" as ghost...
- Italian nurse 'murdered pensioners and tipped off funeral parlour for profit'