Thursday, May 07, 2009

Homeless and tent-cities growing in the U.S....

Jim Marshall recalls everything about that beautiful fall day.

The temperature was about 70 degrees on Nov. 19, the sky was "totally blue," and the laughter from a martini bar drifted into the St. Petersburg park where Marshall, 39, sat contemplating his first day of homelessness.

"I was thinking, 'That was me at one point,' " he says of the revelers. "Now I'm thinking, 'Where am I going to sleep tonight? Where do I eat? Where do I shower?' " 

The unemployed Detroit autoworker moved to Florida last year hoping he'd have better luck finding a job. He didn't, and he spent three months sleeping on sidewalks before landing in a tent city in Pinellas County, north of St. Petersburg, on Feb. 26. More...

See also:

  1. Vagabonds in America...
  2. Israel to raze 1,700 Palestinian homes...
  3. Crisis: the man who sleeps in Hotel Honda...
  4. Sleeping in tents and in cars, welcome to the American Nightmare...
  5. Tents go up in U.S. cities as economy slumps...

No comments:

Post a Comment