Sunday, March 29, 2009

Honour killings and honour suicides in Turkey...

When Elif's father told her she had to kill herself in order to spare him from a prison sentence for her murder, she considered it long and hard. "I loved my father so much, I was ready to commit suicide for him even though I hadn't done anything wrong," the 18-year-old said. "But I just couldn't go through with it. I love life too much." 

All Elif had done was simply decline the offer of an arranged marriage with an older man, telling her parents she wanted to continue her education. That act of disobedience was seen as bringing dishonour on her whole family – a crime punishable by death. "I managed to escape. When I was at school, a few girls I knew were killed by their families in the name of honour – one of them for simply receiving a text message from a boy," Elif said. More...

See also:

  1. Jordanian man beats daughter to death for wearing make-up...
  2. The horrors of "honour" killings...
  3. Saudi man cuts daughter's tongue, burns her to death...
  4. Burying alive 5 women is no big deal in Baluchistan...

No comments:

Post a Comment