Thursday, November 17, 2016

How Swedish literature reflects the benefits of a shorter working day...

You’re very … industrious.

This was how I was described by one resident when I was living and working in Sweden. And trust me – it was not meant as a compliment.

Because, as I discovered over time, although Swedes work hard and with dedication, they do not think their jobs define them. I gradually noticed that people tended to have a healthy work-life balance, and a sense of themselves that was broader than whatever it was they did to make money.

When I moved to Sweden from Chicago in 2001, I threw myself into building a life, including some semblance of a career. I taught myself Swedish, took language courses, and taught English at a variety of schools and companies. I wrote articles for a number of different publications, did freelance copy editing, and when my Swedish was good enough, I began translating, too. I was working long hours, seven days a week, with little time for much else. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Suicide of young Dentsu employee recognized as due to overwork...
  2. Stress in British work places has reached record levels as...
  3. More work makes you sick: Danish study...
  4. How part-time work and exercise may explain why Holland is one...
  5. The best countries in the world for work/life balance: they're mostly in Europe...
  6. Australia's workers stressed and overweight, says study...
  7. The little girl, her dad's day off and Google...
  8. Fuck work: our jobs are still killing us...

No comments:

Post a Comment