Thursday, December 03, 2015

Miss World Canada: Why won’t the Canadian government speak up for me – and for Chinese human rights?

China is the country of my birth – a country whose people and culture I still love deeply. When I arrived in Hong Kong en route to Sanya, China, last week, I hoped to represent Canada in the Miss World pageant. But when I got to Hong Kong, I discovered I had been declared persona non grata – unwelcome in China.

I am left wondering if I will ever be able to return there, to the place where my father still lives. And I am wondering if silence from the new Canadian government is something I should expect.

So far, the Miss World organization has made no comment on China’s barring my entry. Even more troublesome, the Canadian government has not spoken up to offer support, or even to register any concern.

Why won’t the Canadian government speak up? Why haven’t I heard from them?

Who I have heard from is the state-run Chinese media – the editorials denouncing me and accusing me of colluding with “hostile forces.” I am a beauty queen and actress. How is it hostile to hope for a China where people are free to think and believe? Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Ai Weiwei accuses David Cameron of sacrificing UK's human rights record...
  2. Chinese court jails democracy activist Chen Wei for nine years...
  3. Ai Weiwei supporters raise 1/3 of China tax bill...
  4. China "unhappy" with foreign support for artist Ai Weiwei...
  5. Fury after Saudi Arabia 'chosen to head key UN human rights panel'

No comments:

Post a Comment