Friday, December 11, 2015

For girls, YouTube is an addictive sinkhole. Trust me, I know …

My dad tries to keep this a secret, but it’s me, Eva, aged 13, who writes this column most weeks – he makes me do it for pocket money and trousers the fee. However, he’s gone away somewhere, so I’m going to use the opportunity to come out of the closet and write my own column.

This is about why, when an adult ever tries to talk to me, I pretend I have some other place to be. The cause of this strange fear of human interaction that I (and many teenagers) seem to suffer from is, in my opinion, our reliance on screens – specifically, in my case, an addiction to videos posted on YouTube.

If you are over 20, it is likely that you will be clueless about this new form of entertainment and the huge community within it. My mum, for example, seems baffled by the whole concept and I find myself repeatedly explaining the new internet crazes to her. She likes to argue that I shouldn’t make fun of her when I’m teaching her about the internet because she taught me how to use a spoon but usually I ignore this and go off somewhere to listen to music. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Has Lady Gaga 'woken up' since stepping back from the industry?
  2. Essena O'Neill - Why I REALLY am quitting social media...
  3. The selfie syndrome in Delhi sees the young opting for plastic surgery...
  4. The ‘selfie’ obsession: a chronic, narcissistic mental disorder...
  5. How phones are tearing us apart...
  6. Facebook status updates reveal low self-esteem and narcissism...
  7. The dark side of social media...

No comments:

Post a Comment