Thursday, May 14, 2015

Black Miss Japan fights for race revolution...

The first ever mixed race Miss Universe Japan was met with a barrage of racial abuse after she scooped the crown.

But rather than being put off by the backlash, Ariana Miyamoto, has resolved to use her new-found fame to help fight racial prejudice - in much the same way British supermodel Naomi Campbell broke down cultural barriers in the fashion industry a generation ago.

The 21-year-old daughter of a Japanese mother and African-American father, Miyamoto has also hit back at critics who have claimed that she isn't 'Japanese enough.'

Miyamoto explained: 'I was prepared for the criticism. I'd be lying to say it didn't hurt at all.

'I'm Japanese, and stand up and bow when I answer the phone. But that criticism did give me extra motivation.'

Miyamoto revealed that she was not deterred and entered the pageant after a mixed race friend committed suicide. Full story...

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment