Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ecuador’s women turn to boxing to fight sexual violence...

After surviving a harrowing rape attempt, Any Hurtado took up boxing — and found herself surrounded by other Ecuadoran women using their fists for protection in a country torn by sexual violence.

Statistics paint a disturbing picture of the threats women face in the South American country: six out of every 10 have been the victims of gender-based aggression, and one girl in 10 suffers sexual abuse before the age of 18.

Hurtado, a 17-year-old nursing student, lived through her own horror story last year.


She was walking home when a group of men surrounded her and tried to rape her.

“They started grabbing me and trying to assault me,” she told AFP.

“As I was struggling against them I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get away. But I found the strength somewhere. I hit the one closest to me and managed to run away.” Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Egypt women’s voices rise up: War against sexual terrorism begins...
  2. Mumbai attacks: Indians lose faith in the State and queue up for gun licences... 
  3. Prostitutes in Chennai, India, take up martial arts to tame unruly clients!!!
  4. Indian women learn karate - to thwart male aggressors!!! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment