Saturday, June 07, 2014

Walking from Norway to Africa without money or a passport...

Over the past year and a half, 31-year-old Ibby Okinyi has been living and walking through Europe, without spending a dime. From Oslo, Norway, he’s walked over 1,600 miles with just a backpack on his back. He’s made his way through Denmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France and into Spain, where he’s currently staying for a few days in Basque country.

Although it may take another year, at least, Okinyi doesn’t plan to stop walking until he reaches Morocco, Africa.

“So I’ve done everything in reverse, it would be the same as you crossing over to Mexico from where you are, you know people generally try to gear themselves to be rich, I've tried to make myself poor,” says Okinyi, who was born and raised in Australia to a Kenyan father and an Italian mother.

Blogging as he goes, Okinyi only uses public transportation when absolutely necessary—like the ferry (his passage a gift from the captain who heard his story) that took him from from Sweden to Denmark. He fuels his journey frugaly, eating only when he is hungry: berries and fruit from the wild, and the consistent surplus of perfectly good food he finds in dumpsters all across Europe. He also relies on the hospitality of strangers.

“Now I try my best not to trade but rather to give freely and receive,” says Okinyi. “And I try to be as helpful as I can in the situation that I'm in,” he says. Full story...

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment