Friday, May 02, 2014

'No Indians No PRCs': Singapore's rental discrimination problem...

When Sunil first moved to Singapore, he had trouble finding an apartment.

"I called up several landlords who had listed rooms for rent," Sunil, a Sri Lankan who spent eight years living in the UK, said.

"Things would start out OK, maybe because of my [Western] accent - but the moment they heard my name, they'd blank out. Many said 'sorry, we don't rent to these people', or 'sorry, no room for Indians'."

Sunil, a civil engineer who arrived in 2012, said he was rejected by at least four landlords.

"I told them that Sri Lanka was not India, that I wouldn't eat or cook in the apartment, and that I would be outside all day. But still, they wouldn't offer me a room," he said.

"At that point, I got fed up and decided to only try Indian landlords. I was invited to viewings right away." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Singapore's anti-Chinese xenophobia...
  2. 3 youths arrested in Singapore for racist Facebook remarks about Indians...
  3. Unwelcome in Singapore, but life-giver to his family in India...
  4. Ferrari crash fuels Singapore anti-foreigner sentiment...
  5. Singapore TV actress's anti-Indian rant on Facebook provokes anger...
  6. Singapore's 'anti-Chinese curry war'
  7. Racial discrimination pervasive in Singapore rental market ...

No comments:

Post a Comment