Saturday, May 10, 2014

"My personal Wal-Mart nightmare: You won’t believe what life is like working there"

When I woke up to see the news, I could hardly believe it: President Obama is planning a visit to the Mountain View Wal-Mart where I work.

But the excitement quickly passed when I found out the store would be shutting down hours in advance of his visit. I wouldn’t be able to tell the president what it’s like to work at Wal-Mart and what it’s like to struggle on low wages, without the hours I need. I am living at the center of the income inequality that he speaks about so often, and I wanted to talk to him about how to change this problem.

My situation is not unlike that of many of the 825,000 Wal-Mart associates – and many other Americans – who are working hard, but just can’t keep up. Most of us aren’t even paid $25,000 a year even though we work at the largest employer in the country and one that makes $16 billion in profits.

I wanted to tell the president what it’s like working – and living – like this.

Things have always been tight. After four years working at Wal-Mart in Mountain View, I am bringing home about $400 every two weeks (I’d like to get more hours, but I’m lucky if I work 32 hours a week). That’s not enough to pay for bills, gas and food. All I can afford to eat for lunch is a cup of coffee and a bag of potato chips. I’ve always done everything possible to stretch paychecks and scrape by. Sometimes it means not getting enough to eat. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Amazon’s sick brutality and secret history of ruthlessly intimidating workers...
  2. Ex-Amazon workers talk of 'horrendous' conditions...
  3. Fast-food workers announce global protest, walkouts set for 33 countries...
  4. McDonald's managers admit making staff work without pay...
  5. UPS dismisses 250 Queens drivers after they protested against long-time employee's dismissal...

No comments:

Post a Comment