Wednesday, March 05, 2014

India: No country for single women...

For many young people, India is a land of opportunity. Male or female, if you're well educated and resourceful there's the chance of a well-paid career. Just one problem, says Suruchi Sharma - if you're a woman, you must marry by your mid-20s.

"Single? Why, what's your age?"

"28"

"Okay, that's too bad. How are you managing it? Couldn't find anyone?"

Welcome to the conversation that a single woman in India, in her late 20s faces, almost all the time. Yes, it's a big deal if you're 28 and unmarried. You're looked upon as a big failure. I am serious.

I live in Mumbai, the biggest metro city in India. I belong to a typical urban middle-class family. My life is same as that of many young women who move away from home and pursue their dream of an independent life. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. 'My mother and I are married to the same man'
  2. The Indian wife married to FIVE brothers...
  3. Matrimonial modern day woman...
  4. Japanese girl in Singapore looking for Mr.Right...
  5. China's "leftover" women...
  6. On the lookout for love in love jungle Shanghai...

No comments:

Post a Comment