Saturday, November 16, 2013

Why Facebook is losing its popularity...

Just a few years ago, most of my online social activity revolved around Facebook. I was an active member of several Facebook groups, including one that helped me and others find apartments and sell used items. Another group was wonderful for organizing midnight movie screenings. And I used Facebook to stay up-to-date on the latest achievements of my sisters and their children, and the many members of my extended family.

But lately, my formerly hyperactive Facebook life has slowed to a crawl. I've found that most of my younger relatives have graduated from high school and have deleted their accounts or whittled them down until there is barely any personal information left. As for my own account, I rarely add photographs or post updates about what I've been doing. Often, the only interesting thing on the site is the latest Buzzfeed article that my friends are reading - and I can go directly to Buzzfeed for that.

Is it just me, or is Facebook fading?

 The company has long denied that public interest in it may be waning - or that social upstarts may be luring away users. But this month, during a quarterly earnings call, David A Ebersman, Facebook's chief financial officer, made a startling acknowledgment. Facebook had noticed "a decrease in daily users, specifically among younger teens," he said. Those teenagers, mostly American and likely around 13 or 14, weren't deleting their accounts, he said, but they were checking the site less often. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Teens are officially leaving Facebook...
  2. Facebook too old, say Twitter teens...
  3. Facebook deserted by millions of users in biggest markets...
  4. Facebook sees ‘digital suicides’ as users fear privacy breaches and...
  5. Fighting an obsession: the teens that unfriend Facebook...
  6. Why I cancelled my Facebook account...
  7. Why I'm quitting Facebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment