Friday, September 20, 2013

'Use by' dates contribute to unnecessary food waste...

The statistics of food waste are staggering. It’s estimated that a family of four throws away $2,275 each year in food. Some of it is from leftovers not eaten at meals. Some of it is produce that has gone bad because it wasn’t eaten in time. But, a lot of it is thrown away because of the confusing dates stamped on packages.

Yesterday, I asked my Facebook friends what the “use by” date meant to them. The answers from my friends are incredibly varied. Here are just some of the responses I received:

I use it by the date and honestly I cringe when it gets close to the date. I know it's all mental and I'm being a baby. I'm sure it's fine to use a couple of days past, but I won't.

The food is not good after that date and I always throw away... No matter what it is. Can of soup, pasta, cereal. All trashed

Screw those dates. Arbitrary. Empower yourself and use your senses. Does it look smell or taste gross? No, then eat it!

'Use by' is a guideline. Scratch 'n sniff is more effective.  Full story...

Related posts:
  1. France to ease 'best-by' rules to cut food waste...
  2. Supermarkets in UK throw away half of food as families starve...
  3. Each person in Germany throws out 82 kilos of food a year...
  4. Don't throw your food away: it's still safe to eat after the "use-by" date...
  5. "Best before" dates to be scrapped on food products? 
  6. Britons waste £17bn worth of food a year...
  7. The Swedish obsession with "best-before" dates on foodstuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment