Friday, May 10, 2013

Syrian refugees 'sold for marriage' in Jordan...

Before the war began, Kazal was in love with her neighbour in Homs. "He was 20 years old and I dreamed of marrying him one day," she says. "I never thought I would marry someone I didn't love, but my family and I have been through some hard times since coming to Amman."

Kazal says she is 18 but looks much younger. She has just got divorced from a 50-year-old man from Saudi Arabia who paid her family about US $3,100 (UK £2,000) to marry her. The marriage lasted one week.

"I lived with my husband in Amman, but we weren't happily married. He treated me like a servant, and didn't respect me as a wife. He was very strict with me. I'm happy that we're divorced."

Her huge, blue eyes fill with tears when she talks about the marriage.

"I agreed to it so I could help my family. When I got engaged I cried a lot. I won't get married for money again. In the future I hope to marry a Syrian boy who's my own age." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Rape and sham marriages: the fear of Syria's women refugees...
  2. Syria's refugee brides: “The Saudis usually ask for 12-year-olds.”
  3. 60-year-old Saudi man "wins" 10-year-old child in a bet as bride...
  4. 80-year-old Saudi marries 14-year-old girl...
  5. Married at 13 to 60-year-old man, abandoned at 30, woman now lives...
  6. Misyar, Saudi Arabia's bogus marriage loophole for frustrated singles...
  7. Nujood Ali: “I made it possible for my father to buy new wives”

No comments:

Post a Comment