Monday, February 04, 2013

The other side of French airstrikes on Mali: ‘They ruined everything I had'

French President Francois Hollande is triumphant about his operation in Mali, but stories are emerging which show a different side of the war. Journalist Gonzalo Wancho tells RT that for every two rebels killed in airstrikes, a dozen civilians died.

“We’re learning what happened in battle day by day. In the town of Konna, we heard stories from the fog of war. [Rebels] fled to the north when French troops showed up. It’s reported that the cost of that victory was high. While French planes killed only two rebels, the number of civilian casualties were an estimated 14,” journalist Gonzalo Wancha told RT.

It comes just days after French President Francois Hollande declared “victory” in northern Malian cities. But the victory also had its price:

“I wasn’t home when the bombing began. I started praying when I learned my house was under attack. They ruined everything I had – my family and my livelihood. [My children were 11, 10, and 6]. They all died,” Idrís Meiga, a farmer from Konna, told RT. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Oh No! Not another Osama!
  2. Reports of atrocities emerge as France escalates Mali war...
  3. Mali war retaliation: 'World police protecting corporate interests in Africa'
  4. France imposes media blackout on Mali war...
  5. Timbuktu: the women singled out for persecution...

No comments:

Post a Comment