Friday, June 15, 2012

Saudi lawyer charged with “tarnishing” image of state...

Saudi prosecutors have charged a lawyer with “tarnishing” the image of the kingdom and contempt of the judiciary in what the lawyer said on Wednesday was an attempt to keep him from pursuing his work on human rights cases.

If convicted, Waleed Abu al-Khair, who was barred in March from travelling abroad for security reasons, could face a fine or a prison sentence, he said, depending on the judge who has the right to determine the punishment under Saudi laws.

Rulings in Saudi Arabia are not based on precedent and, even with the same charge, they can differ from one judge to another.

“They want to show me that they can easily stop my human rights activities … but in the end I am going to face this court case and I believe that I am not guilty and have not done anything that requires punishment so I will defend myself,” Abu al-Khair told Reuters. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Saudi hypocrisy: repression and abuse at home, freedom abroad...
  2. Saudi woman to religious police: it's none of your business if I wear nail polish...
  3. Saudi Arabia: House of Saud, falling house of cards...
  4. Saudi prince tells royal family to flee the coming revolution...
  5. " It is not easy to be an activist in Saudi Arabia"
  6. "Where is Khaled?" Saudi man who defied State ... 
  7. Saudi Arabia, the Middle East's most under-reported conflict...
  8. Why is Iran the pariah but not Saudi Arabia?

No comments:

Post a Comment