Friday, November 11, 2011

"... vegetarianism in Pakistani culture can be a rebellion.”

(...)

Societies are usually gauged by the way they treat their minority. Folks, I confess to being a minority. No, I am not a non-Muslim, gay, lesbian, Atheist or fat(Not that there is anything wrong with that). I am a vegetarian. I have spent most of my life answering stupid question like 'Why aren't you eating anything baita, do you have a medical problem?' or 'You don't eat red meat, that is all right. Have some chicken.?' with uneasy looks and evasive answers. I have had to laugh off jokes about me being 'born on the wrong side of the border' and 'to the wrong parents'. I have left countless weddings, dinner parties and eid get-togethers with an empty stomach. I have quoted facts and figures and even Dr Zakir Naik to argue against the assertion that you just can't live without consuming meat. I have frequently been diagnosed as someone who has 'nakhra', attitude problem or phobia. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Pakistan schools cast minorities in bad light...
  2. Vegetarian couple 'banned from adopting'
  3. Eat meat and save the planet, say former vegetarian...
  4. Vegetarians and meat-eaters...
  5. Why I eat meat (and why you should too...)
  6. Becoming vegetarian to save the environment? Think again...

No comments:

Post a Comment