Monday, September 12, 2011

" I was arrested for a law that doesn't exist."

(...)

So, I drove a cart for him. I gave two rides on Friday night. The first was to a couple of women who, when dropped off, handed me a few dollars and thanked me. I did not charge them–they voluntarily handed me the money. At this point, three APD officers stopped me and wrote me a ticket for “Operating without a permit” and “No chauffeur’s license.” I tried to explain that the permit and license did not exist, but they didn’t care. I asked, multiple times, if they had read the ordinances I was accused of violating, and the officers refused to cite the law I was allegedly breaking. They told me if they saw me operating again, they would arrest me. (Read here to see that to be a chauffeured vehicle, requiring permit, as defined by Austin City code, there must be a passenger that is being charged a fee).

I decided that the Austin Police Department does not have the right or the authority to shut down a business on a whim. I picked up another person, and gave him a ride. I dropped him off where he asked to go. The police officers saw him hand me $4 (again, I did not charge him) and immediately came to me and put me in handcuffs. I was arrested without discussion or hesitation, and taken directly to jail. It was quite the experience. I got to spend the night with a lot of the late Friday evening drunks, one of them throwing up all over the floor right next to me. I stayed in jail until I was released the next morning. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. The inexplicable war on lemonade stands... 
  2. Brave US cops arrest children selling lemonade... 
  3. Georgia man fined $5000 for growing vegetables in his own land!!! 
  4. Oregan's little lemonade seller gives the State the finger...
  5. Utah woman jailed for selling flowers from her home...
  6. California family farm ordered to destroy 50,000 pounds (22680 kilos) of cheese... 
  7. Cops in Georgia close down girls' lemonade stand because no "business" permit... 

No comments:

Post a Comment