Saturday, September 17, 2011

Culture of credit seducing Swiss youth and pushing them into debt...

One-third of people in debt in Switzerland are aged 18-25, a study has found, and almost half of 18-25-year-olds who were in debt in 2006 still are.

 In addition, 44 per cent of people who receive social security benefits are in the same 18-25 age-group, according to the Federal Commission for Childhood and Youth.

“I’m on a disability pension,” said Carlos, 24. “After I have paid the rent and health insurance, I have SFr1,480 ($1,685) for the month. I have a rental contract for the television and two credit cards. I owe SFr2,500 on the second card but I was able to get a new rental contract for a computer without a problem.”

“I did some stupid things when I was young, spending too much, going out, holidays… and I found myself two years behind on my taxes,” said Arnaud, 39, whose wages have been attached for the last seven years - in other words, not paid directly to him but part of them taken to pay off the debt. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. 6-year-old applies for and gets a credit card!!!
  2. Teenage affluenza is spreading fast...
  3. The Good Consumer. Are you one?
  4. As govt combats strong franc, the Swiss go on a shopping spree ... 
  5. Americans dumping credit cards, returning to good,old cash... 
  6. Miss Singapore World accused of credit card thefts, gives up crown... 
  7. Angry black dude blasts the consumer society ... among other things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment