Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bahraini students in Britain lose scholarships, stranded with uncertain future...


I started my PhD in language and communications at a British university last September. I was on a full scholarship from the University of Bahrain where I have been on the staff since 2004 and planned to stay here for at least four years.

We rented our flat in Manama, my husband gave up his job there, and we brought over our two daughters and enrolled them in school. Then the uprising and the crackdown started. I got a phone call from the university one day and was told that my scholarship had been withdrawn. I asked to know the reason why but they refused to tell me.

 They just said I had to come back within a week and then I would find out. Of course this was not practical, my children were in school, I couldn’t simply return. And that was it. I haven’t heard any more form the university, apart from a letter confirming what I was told over the phone. More...

Don't miss:
  1. Bahrain regime accused of harassing UK-based students...
  2. How Bahrain is oppressing its Shia majority...
  3. Bahraini forces rape and kill poetess Ayat al-Ghermezi...
  4. Cameron blasted for welcoming 'torturer' of Bahrain to No. 10...
  5. Why the US, European and al-Jazeera silence on Bahrain's murderers?
  6. Libyan students in the US told by embassy to attend pro-Ghaddafi rallies or else... 

No comments:

Post a Comment