Friday, April 29, 2011

Horrific brutality in Kashmir...

Youth and children as young as 10 are tortured and sometimes disappear completely...

"I will never be the same," says Sameer Khan (name changed), a student in his early twenties. Khan at his age has endured plenty. Behind his soft-spoken exterior lies a resilient interior that surfaces with time and trust. In his late teens, Khan was put through physical and psychological torture by the Indian security agencies in the disturbed region of Kashmir.

"I was thrown into a dark room and tortured. They used gun butts to break my back. While I was still in pain, a stream of blood ran through my nose and head… and when it clotted in my left eye, I went blind. An hour later, some policemen came and began to torture my private parts. This was and will be most shameful experience for me for the rest of my life. When electric shocks were given to my private parts, I felt this is the end of world and it was perhaps,” Khan revealed details after a few months.

The United Nation's Convention Against Torture states that torture cannot be "justified under any exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency”.

 Last summer, non-government organizations said several youth and underage boys were picked up by the authorities for participating in street demonstrations against the killings of street protesters in the Kashmir Valley. More...

Don't miss:
  1. Appalling suicide rate in Kashmir valley...
  2. WikiLeaks accuses India of systematic use of torture in Kashmir...
  3. India accused of abuses after clashes in Kashmir (video)
  4. See no evil: human rights violations in India...
  5. Arundhati Roy: What have we done to democracy?
  6. My hero: Irom Chanu Sharmila... 

No comments:

Post a Comment