Malaysia's first gay-themed romance film has become a swift box-office success, attracting curious cinema audiences who rarely get to see movies centered on sexuality because of strict censorship in this Muslim-majority nation, its producer said Wednesday.
The Malay-language movie, called "Dalam Botol," or "In a Bottle," grossed slightly more than 1 million ringgit ($330,000) in its first five days, recouping its production and marketing costs of 970,000 ringgit ($320,000), said Raja Azmi Raja Sulaiman, who wrote and produced the film.
The movie depicts a Muslim man who has a sex change operation because he believes it will please his male lover, but his effort ends in heartbreak for both of them. Some gay rights advocates have called it an unfairly negative portrayal of gay and transgender people. More...
- Gay-themed film in Malaysia gets cautious approval...
- Malaysia gags Lady Gaga, garbles gay lyrics of "Born This Way"
- HIV positive gay Casanova in Malaysia cons 200 young men via Facebook !!!
- 100 couples arrested in Malaysia for celebrating Valentine's Day!!!
- Pastor in Uganda condemns poo poo licking gays!!!