Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Life without supermarkets?

neighbourhood opposing plans for a Tesco Metro almost next door to my local corner shop.

I went in search of the shop owner, who I found looking tired and distracted. 'It's killing us,' he said, as we stood outside the shop, gazing into the middle distance like two people witnessing the end of an era. 'This big company will take half my customers. I employ ten people. In the end it will be just me.'

'I am sure Tesco really needs that money,' he added, bitterly. More...

Don't miss:

  1. An American supermarket in the early sixties...
  2. What are we eating? The truth about food...
  3. What on earth is slow food?
  4. Chicken à la carte; hunger, poverty and globalisation...
  5. Big Box Mart, low prices at a high cost...
  6. 80-year-old ascetic hasn't eaten or drunk since he was 12...

No comments:

Post a Comment