Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Sicilian relatives showed me the meaning of family...

I hung up the phone with a feeling of both excitement and anxiety.

We were staying in a hotel in Catania, Sicily, and I had just spoken to distant relatives in a nearby town. Both sets of my grandparents had been born there, and in the early 1900s had immigrated to the U.S. As long as I can remember, I have wanted to learn more about their home and my roots.

It had taken me months to track down these relatives, and I was now making contact, sort of. More...

Don't miss:

  1. Sicily: chapel in a supermarket!
  2. Families destroyed by Gaza conflict...
  3. "Jungle Laxmi," the Indian woman who lived in the wilds for 22 years, comes home...
  4. India: because they loved each other, they have lived under a tree ... for 25 years!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment