Tuesday, July 28, 2009

“The War is with the Arabs”

I saw this sign as I was entering Nablus last week, again on my way to Ramallah, and again near Bethlehem. The phrase is printed in Hebrew, presumably by Israeli settlers, on huge signs throughout the West Bank. Israeli racism rarely shocks me anymore, but its blatant display still makes me stop and catch my breath as I translate it into other contexts. Imagine driving through the middle of a predominantly black neighborhood in a US city or town and seeing a enormous sign that says, “The war is with the Blacks.” More...

Don't miss:

  1. Ronaldo to star in film about tragic Palestinian fan...
  2. No more "nakba" in Arab textbooks in Israel...
  3. Auschwitz survivor: "I can identify with Palestinian youth"
  4. Literature is illegal in Palestine...
  5. American Jews slam Israeli policy in Gaza...

No comments:

Post a Comment