Monday, June 01, 2009

Silence is the Enemy: say NO to rape...

In 2006 I was sexually assaulted. I never expected to blog about it.

One evening in DC, a stranger grabbed me as I walked from the metro stop to my apartment after work. I wish I could say I screamed or fought back, but I was too horrified. Instead I could only stare in disbelief at the jackass holding me down. This can’t be happening. In a desperate scramble I somehow managed to break away before it escalated to rape and ran inside my building. He winked and blew a kiss from behind the glass door, as if to say ‘oh well, next time‘. I was the third women in the neighborhood to report a similar story to police in two weeks–also the luckiest. The experience forever shattered a false sense of security, knowing that to monsters like this man, I’m nothing more than conquest, having no identity beyond what I can potentially provide for them. The reward isn’t about sex–but subjugation and power. And I will not be a silent witness to rape. More...

See also:

  1. 9000 suspects world-wide tracked for child-rape video...
  2. Abu Ghraib abuse photos 'show rape'
  3. Woman who killed an official after rape threat...
  4. Thousands raped and abused in Catholic schools in Ireland.
  5. Congo army rapes, robs and kills civilians...
  6. Bangladeshi women raped by Pakistani soldiers in 1971...
  7. In South Africa they use rape to "cure" lesbians...
  8. Haiti, where rape is used as a weapon...

No comments:

Post a Comment