Friday, March 27, 2009

Iraq after six years, the numbers tell a scary tale...

Dear Friends, 

I pride myself in being a scientist and a researcher. I built my academic career on theories and numbers. As a teacher, I teach my students that everything is based in science - everything has reason. For this reason, I am always frustrated with myself when I find I am overwhelmed with feelings on specific topics. 

One such topic is the occupation of my country, Iraq. On this subject I find that I cannot always be dispassionate. I cannot be the researcher and observer and discuss it without feeling or emotion as I am sometimes expected to do. I find myself doing research on the damages caused by the war and occupation, and my head buzzes with anger, my eyes burn with tears of desperation at the state of my country. 

Six years after the attack and the pain is as fresh and cutting as it was in March 2003. This year, I decided, I would view it as a scientist. I would not attack the subject with emotion. I would let the numbers speak for themselves. This year I will sit back and play the part of the analyst- the researcher- on this topic that is closest to my heart. 

Six years into the occupation… More...

See also:

  1. Anger, struggles six years after US invaded Iraq...
  2. Six Years of War in Iraq... (superb photos)
  3. Abu Ghraib: Lynndie England talks...
  4. Iraq: six years of carnage ... for what?
  5. A war veteran talks about his time in Iraq...
  6. Iraq: using rape as a weapon to recruit suicide bombers...

No comments:

Post a Comment