Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Confessions of a Guantanamo guard...

(...)

When I initially learnt of my deployment to Guantanamo and the purpose we were going for, I was ready to go and face the world’s most dangerous men; these terrorists who had plotted and killed thousands of people in my country on 11 September 2001. I was ready to seek my own personal revenge on these people in whatever manner I could. 

Then the day came when these “world’s most dangerous men” arrived, and they were not what I expected to see. Most of them were small, underweight, very scared, and injured. I was expecting these people to come off that bus looking like vicious monsters. Then, I was one of the people responsible for the older detainee being injured. And seeing the abuse these detainees went through? The same people I worked with every day, the same people I went to sleep with every night, were the same people mistreating these detainees. After speaking with the detainees and realising they had families who loved them, just as I had, I started to realise that these people are no different than me. Hell! I was older than some of the ones there.

(...)

I think everyone can agree that, at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, there are some really bad people. And there are a lot of good people there as well. But – innocent, guilty, black, white, Muslim, or Jew, no matter what you are – there is no excuse to treat people in the manner that I and other people did. It’s wrong and just downright criminal, and it goes against everything the United States of America stands for. Full story...

See also:

  1. Geneva ready to accept Guantanamo inmates...
  2. Guantanamo inmates to get art, English classes!!! 
  3. Guantanamo: most of the detainees were never criminals in the first place...
  4. Are children being kept prisoners in Guantanamo Bay?
  5. Welcome to Taliban Towers at Guantanamo Bay...

No comments:

Post a Comment