Sunday, November 02, 2008

Russia: nationalists' racist attacks on the rise...

Kamola, a 36-year-old ethnic-Uzbek woman living in Moscow, was stepping out of a metro carriage on her way to work last month when a blow sent her tumbling to the station's marble floor. 

The punch came without warning, dealt by a young man wearing brass knuckles. A second assailant then picked up the woman's limp body while his friend struck her repeatedly in the face and stomach.

"Two men came up from behind and hit me," she recalls. "First they hit my right eye and then broke my nose and cheekbone. I fainted immediately. I hadn't done anything wrong, they attacked me because I was veiled."

Kamola doesn't remember being rushed to a nearby hospital. She regained consciousness four days later with injuries so severe that she now faces major brain surgery and facial reconstruction work.

But the mother of two considers herself lucky to be alive. Like most foreigners and ethnic minorities in Russia, she is painfully aware that dozens of people die every year in racially motivated assaults. More...

See also:

  1. Spanish racists target Lewis Hamilton with voodoo-style attacks...
  2. German Police Raids Nazi Youth Camp...
  3. Racist violence escalates in South Africa...
  4. The Russian Neo-Nazi movement...
  5. Olympic Torch: why so much fuss about a Nazi symbol?

No comments:

Post a Comment