Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stop the world ?? I want to get off...

AFTER reading Wang Yong's story titled "Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily" on October 14, I saw peaceful sunshine in the heart of Xiao Chen, a middle-aged man who has been rowing his one-oar boat for tourists on the West Lake in Hangzhou for 20 years.

However, in this bustle and hustle world, it is not easy for a person to do something he really likes, because he has to meet his own needs, live up to parents' expectations and make a better life.

A variety of pressures leads one to give up his favorite career, be a workaholic and live for others.

Many people are yearning for the life Xiao Chen has, but they choose to follow the money like a herd of sheep.

My friend once admired me because I was born in Shanghai, a city brimming with opportunities. I said I preferred an idyllic town where the pace is slower.

What I feel now is endless fatigue, accompanied by loneliness as well as various illnesses.

Looking around, I see standing here and there skyscrapers which always shadow me.

What I want is just a little more personal time and private space, which seem a sort of luxury in a modern metropolis.

Zhu Yanling 

See also:

  1. Feeling down? Take a dose of Nature's Prozac...
  2. Chen Si, the Good Samaritan of Nanjing Bridge...
  3. Middle-class "tribe" in Wales gives the State the finger...
  4. Tribe that hid from the world: leave them alone,please!

No comments:

Post a Comment